Group name: Research group for physics of quantum matter
Short name: Quantum matter group
Research area: Condensed matter physics
Group leader: Leandra Vranješ Markić
Theme #1: Stability, structural properties and universality of atomic clusters
Few-body ground state properties are explored by the diffusion Monte Carlo method and pure estimators. Stability of different clusters consisting of spin-polarized hydrogen, helium, neon, argon, alkali and alkaline earth isotopes is determined and their structure is analysed. Special emphasis is given to the halo states and universal size-energy scalings.
Theme #2: Ultracold atoms
Ultracold quantum atoms, due to tunability of their interactions, possibility to control and explore dimensionality effects, disorder and quantum statistics nowadays provide unprecedented possibilities to study strongly correlated systems.
In the recent years we have focused on predicting and understanding properties of repulsive and attractive bosonic mixtures and the study of superfluid-insulator transition in reduced dimensionality.
In order to study these systems, we develop and apply quantum Monte Carlo (MC) methods, such as diffusion and path integral MC. In addition, density functional theory is developed and applied to bosonic mixtures.
Theme #3: Quantum fluids and solids in confinement
The effects of reduced dimensionality on self-binding energies and structural properties of helium clusters in the case of adsorption on weakly attractive cesium and strongly attractive graphene, were studied.
We have also been studying superfluidity and Bose-Einstein condensation of helium in nanopores.
Theme #4: Spin-orbit coupling
The effect of spin-orbit coupling (SOC) on spectral properties of Dirac and Weyl materials is studied.
In addition, QMC methods are being developed so that spin degree of freedom is explicitly accounted for, with the aim to study ultracold SOC gases and explore novel phases.
– Jordi Boronat, researcher, Departament de Física i Enginyeria Nuclear, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, – – – Barcelona, Spain.
– Gregory Astrakharchik, researcher, Departament de Física i Enginyeria Nuclear, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain.
– Henry R. Glyde, researcher, University of Delaware, Newark, US.
– Robert E. Zillich, researcher, Institute for Theoretical Physics, Johannes Kepler University, Linz, Austria.
– Mathias Gartner, PhD student, Institute for Theoretical Physics, Johannes Kepler University, Linz, Austria.
– Andrii Gudyma, Postdoc, Max Planck Institute for Microstructure Physics, Halle, Germany
- Stipanović, L. Vranješ Markić, A. Gudyma & J. Boronat, Sci. Rep. 9, 6289 (2019), https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-42312-9
- Cikojević, L. Vranješ Markić, G. E. Astrakharchik, J. Boronat, Phys. Rev. A 99, 023618 (2019), https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.99.023618
- Cikojević, L. Vranješ Markić, and J. Boronat, New J. Phys. 20 085002 (2018), https://doi.org/10.1088/1367-2630/aad6cc
- Cikojević, K. Dželalija. P. Stipanović, L. Vranješ Markić & J. Boronat, PRB 97, 140502(R) (2018), https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevb.97.140502
- Stipanović & L. Vranješ Markić, JPB 51, 155101 (2018), https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6455/aacb45
- Vranješ Markić, H. Vrcan, Z. Zuhrianda, PRB 97, 014513 (2018), https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.97.014513
- Ž. Bonačić Lošić, Physica E: Low-dimensional systems and Nanostructures 85, 199-205 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physe.2016.08.031
- Stipanović, L. Vranješ Markić, D. Zarić & J. Boronat, JCP 146, 014305 (2017), https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4973381
- Stipanović, L. Vranješ Markić & J. Boronat, JPB 49, 185101 (2016), https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-4075/49/18/185101
- Vranješ Markić, P. Stipanović, I. Bešlić & R. E. Zillich, PRB 94, 045428 (2016), https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.94.045428
- Ž. Bonačić Lošić, Physica B: Condensed Matter 460, 253-256 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physb.2014.11.083
- Stipanović, L. Vranješ Markić, I. Bešlić & J. Boronat, PRL 113, 253401 (2014), https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.113.253401
- Vranješ Markić L., Dželalija K., Glyde H. R., Phys. Rev. B 101 104505 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.101.104505
- Dželalija K., Vranješ Markić L., Phys. Rev. A 101 013626 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.101.013626
Leandra Vranješ Markić, PI
University of Split, Faculty of Science, Ruđera Boškovića 33, HR-21000 Split, Croatia
tel: +385 21 619 243
fax: +385 21 619 227